👋 About Awell
Awell is a health tech startup on a 🚀 Mission to make care flows work harder than care teams.
We get up in the morning to improve healthcare for patients and care teams by changing the care delivery model. The current model has led to an incredible amount of waste, a tragic level of burnout among care teams, and a high variation in care quality across and within countries. We want to change this.
The Awell platform and the CareOps practices provide care teams with the right tools to improve outcomes and lower the cost of care by designing, implementing, and evolving software-powered care flows. 🔭 Awell’s Vision is to become the leading CareOps platform used by care teams worldwide to drive continuous improvement in care delivery.
We are still a relatively small team, spread across the globe (Europe, Asia, and the US), but thanks to our recent fundraising, we’re expanding fast. We are backed by top VC investors like Octopus Ventures, LocalGlobe, and Moonfire. We are looking for open-minded people who are committed to continuously improving themselves and the world around them.
If you’d like to know more about Awell, please have a look at the Awell Handbook.
🤔 About the role
As our Lead Product Designer (full-time position), you will craft a product used by care teams and patients along their entire care journey and contribute to delivering more efficient and higher-quality care. We believe we need a product designer not only to make our product look beautiful but to discover and build the right product.
You’ll be working with a world-class team of product managers, engineers, and customers who want to change healthcare for the better. In that team, you will be the first member of the design team which is a subset of the product team. We believe in cross-functional & empowered teams, so together with the product managers and engineers you will solve problems and not just execute tasks that were given to you. Additionally, we believe designers should not be measured on the output of their work, but rather on the success of the product.
Because you will be the first member of the design team, you will have an opportunity to grow as Awell grows. While we probably won’t grow the design team significantly before we raise again in 2025, we are looking for someone who has the potential to become our “Head of Design” and grow the team.
As Lead Product Designer, there might be some additional pages in the Awell Handbook that might be of interest to you:
- 🔦 Brand Guidelines (also see our website, and Developer Hub to get an idea of our visual identity)
- 📐 Product Principles
- 🚗 Our Take on Roadmaps
- Our ▶️ YouTube channel where you can see the product in action
- You will be responsible for making the product usable and lovable for our users.
- You'll be a first-class member of the product team and therefore contribute to product discovery and delivery (we are not looking for designers who just take requirements or specs).
- You’ll build further upon Awell’s visual identity & design system so there is a consistent tone of voice across our apps.
- You think about the user's journey over time as they interact with the product and make sure that throughout all these touchpoints our users have an extraordinary, consistent, and holistic experience.
- You will own the overall design process including user research, prototyping, visual design, and interaction design (UI/UX).
- When the team grows, you will be responsible for scaling the design team.
- Additionally, you'll help with putting the best aspects of our product forward in our marketing efforts. Note: helping with our marketing efforts will only be a small percentage of your time spent, the majority of your time will be focused on the product itself.
You are the ideal candidate if:
- Our 🚀 mission, 🥰 values, and 🧑🤝🧑 how we roll excite you.
- You have 4+ years of relevant product design experience.
- You have expertise in driving the design of a software product.
- You have a strong sense of ownership & autonomy.
- You are a team player and understand that cross-functional teams yield superior results over individual efforts.
- You love solving hard problems and are not afraid of a challenge because healthcare is all about solving hard problems.
- You are deeply oriented around the actual users of the product, their "job to be done" and the value the product brings to them.
- You love learning about user problems and coming up with different approaches to solving them.
- You use prototypes as your primary canvas to test and validate product ideas.
- You're strong in interaction & visual design so you can transform your ideas into a beautiful-looking design that can be handed over to our engineers.
- You are a clear communicator both written and verbal.
- You're familiar with our design stack: Figma.
We can live without:
No prior healthcare experience
- 💸 A competitive salary
- 🧐 Yearly learning and development stipend
- 🚀 Strong growth opportunities (as we’re still relatively small but expanding fast)
- 💴 Equity
- ⏲️ Flexible work hours
- 🛫 Flexible vacation policy (see 🌴 Holidays)
- 💻 Your choice of computing equipment
- 🫂 The chance to work with some very talented people and join our amazing 😎 Offsites. Maybe you can already join the next one to ☀️ Destination Unknown (summer 2023)?
We’re a fully remote team so this is a remote position.
🙋♀️ How to apply
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. You should include these in your application:
- A link to your online portfolio
- Your CV or LinkedIn profile
- A few words about why Awell is interesting to you
⏭️ Interview process
Going through interviews at a bunch of companies can be exhausting & stressful. We believe our interview process strikes a nice balance between “hire slowly” and “move quickly.” It consists of:
- Screening (30min)
- Written interview (60min)
- “Day-in-the-life-of” exercise (60min)
- Panel culture interviews (2 x 45min)
- Final conversation with Thomas, Awell’s CEO (45min)
- Reference calls
You can find more information about our interview process here.
🚀 Closing thoughts
We want to end with a piece of a16z’s “Hey Tech, It’s Time To Build. In Healthcare.” article as it conveys well why we believe this is the right time to join a healthcare startup.
"In 2013, Marc Andreessen observed that the biggest, most successful companies have all done something that seemed completely “crazy” at the time of creation. The examples from the last two decades are clear. Sleeping in a stranger’s home? Airbnb. Getting in a stranger’s car? Lyft. Putting a personal computer in everyone’s home, and then in everyone’s pocket, and then on everyone’s wrist? Apple.
But what sounds crazy in 2023? Certainly not another meal delivery service, recruiting tool, or dating app. More broadly, we all agree that mobile, internet, the cloud, and SaaS are consensus and mainstream.
Here’s what sounds crazy in 2023: Trying to fix the United States’ gigantic mess of a healthcare system.
The U.S.’s largest industry–one fifth of the American economy–is unspeakably broken. The United States severely lags behind other developed nations in terms of health outcomes and cost. Hundreds of thousands of people die each year because of avoidable human errors.
Modern technology has little penetration in healthcare. The industry still largely relies on paper and fax machines for communication.
The most impactful companies are built at the frontier, and healthcare is the next frontier. It’s time to put our tech skills to work. The mother of all markets is ripe for disruption."