Awell is a technology company active in healthcare. We exist because we want to have a positive impact on the lives of patients & care teams. Don’t trust our word for it, have a look at the Awell Handbook and find out for yourself.
What is the https://awellhealth.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AH?
We wrote a set of documents that provide guidance and direction for the organization and the amazing people that work there. Additionally, we try to formulate answers on existential questions like “Why does Awell exist?” and “Why do people want to work here?”.
To get you going:
- Vision (company) and Product Vision
We are a team of 15 people, some of us are based in Brussels (Belgium), others across Europe, Asia, and the USA. We are backed by LocalGlobe, Moonfire, and others. We are looking for open-minded people who are committed to continuously improving themselves and the world around them. Our culture is one of responsibility, high productivity, and genuine feedback.
Given we are still a small-ish team, joining us now means you'll have lots of responsibility and a tremendous impact on our journey.
🤔 About the role
As a Software Engineer, you will be an early member of our engineering team, helping us to build the best CareOps platform in the world. Our platform is burgeoning and we are continually bringing on new customers, which means some projects will be broad in scope and you will be given lots of latitude, while other projects will be optimizations measured in ms.
You’ll be working with a world-class product development team and many times directly with customers who want to change healthcare for the better. We believe in cross-functional & empowered teams, so together with product and design you will solve problems and not just execute tasks that were given to you. You will not be a “ticket-taker.” You’ll work as part of a team of 3 or 4 engineers, product, and design.
As an early member of the team, you will have an opportunity to shape our culture, and to grow as Awell grows. We expect you’ll learn a lot working here. You’ll take part in our bi-weekly SODOTO sessions (“see one, do one, teach one”) and knowledge-share with teammates; you’ll hack away at problems during one of our Offsites; you’ll perform discovery on new features; you’ll learn about Awell’s customers and the problems they’re looking to solve.
Our goal is that when you decide to move on from your journey with Awell, you’ll look back fondly at your time knowing it was very well spent, you’ll have made some great colleagues and/or friends, and you’ll feel a drive to “pay it forward” and coach others so they can also find fulfillment in their work the way you did.
Finally, as a software engineer, there might be some additional pages in the Awell Handbook that might be of interest to you:
- Ride the knife’s edge of scalability, feature-completeness, and speed in one of our product verticals
- Participate thoughtfully in group discussions and with the respect and trust we expect you’ll receive
- Provide honest feedback and mentorship to teammates in an effort to help them grow
- Bring curiosity to technical discovery
- Do your best to embody Awell’s values
- …but we all fall sometimes, so help to lift up your team and search for learning experiences when you reach one of your many inevitable failures
- Write awesome, easy-to-understand code, perform code review for peers, be an advocate for pair programming, and look for the 🛹
- Communicate clearly and often
We are currently hiring mid-level (4-6 years exp.) and senior engineers (7+ years exp.)
(Sorry entry-level and junior engineers… your time will come next year! Please stay in touch with me on LinkedIn)
- What we do at Awell, our company Values, and How we roll resonate with you.
- You have a strong sense of ownership & autonomy.
- You are a team player and understand that cross-functional teams yield superior results over individual efforts.
- You love solving hard problems and are not afraid of a challenge because healthcare is all about solving hard problems.
- You are a clear communicator, both written and verbal.
🔟 Tech Stack
- Cloud provider: GCP
- Deployment: Kubernetes/Helm/Terraform
- Language(s) / runtime: Typescript/NodeJS
- API: GraphQL
- Datastores: ArangoDB, Mongo, Redis
- Microservices framework: Moleculer
- Message brokers: NATS, Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, Redis
- Data and logging: Elastic, Logstash, Kibana
- Monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana, Sentry, Datadog
🎁 Logistics & Benefits
- Full-time employment
- Remote (the early team resides in Brussels, Belgium 🧇 🍫). See Big, big girl in an async world
- The chance to work with an amazing team and join our amazing Offsites. Maybe you can already join the next one to Destination Unknown (summer 2023)?
- Attractive & fair compensation, including equity, a learning stipend, and your choice of hardware
- ⏱️ Flexible work hours
- 🛫 Flexible vacation policy (see Holidays)
- You will be privileged to witness the meme game of Rik from the first row during our bi-weekly celebrations (and his meme game is really strong)
📝 How to apply
Send your application to email@example.com
🗣️ Interview process
Going through interviews at a bunch of companies can be exhausting & stressful. We believe our interview process strikes a nice balance between “hire slowly” and “move quickly.” It consists of:
- A 25-minute screening;
- A short (250-word) written interview, usually followed by a couple back-and-forth emails;
- A 45-60 minute technical interview (problem-solving, not “leet-code”)
- Our “virtual onsite” (2 panel interviews and an interview with someone from the leadership team)
- Final interview with our CEO
In total, it’s about 6 hours of interview time. Including the additional time you may take reviewing our company materials, or those of our competitors, that could be 8-10 hours of your time. To give you a couple of statistics (these may change):
- About one out of every four people who have participated in our virtual onsite have joined our team
- About half of the folks who have spoken with our CEO have joined our team
We assign a very high value to the time we put into our interview process, and we look forward to meeting you. Thank you for your time and consideration!